Thursday, January 11, 2007

Movies

Waking Life confused me. It gave me a new view on what happens when you die and what is and is not real. The conversations were interesting and different from what I have originally learnt about dreaming. I now always try to turn lights off and on, which is funny because I know I am not actually dreaming. Well, I guess I don't know that.
The style was really interesting. Before we saw it, Will explained rodoscoping to me. I have never heard or seen it before. It was cool to see when artists changed and how each portrayed the characters and backround. I also liked that they had free reign over what they created, because it reflected what the movie was about: thinking about things that do not really exist.
The concepts in the movies were really cool, but the entire plot was confusing. Until the end, it seemed like a bunch of strung together conversations about dreaming and conciousness. I have seeen movies about this sort of stuff before, and I have always had to watch them more than once to fully understand what is happening. I think the movie will make more sense if I watch it again.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was really good. Although I could not make sense of the entire time scheme, I really like the point of it. It was a really random plot to come up with, and I think that is what made it so original. Michel Gondry's style was really cool because he jumped around and intergrated the pieces of the movie well. It did not flow, in a good way.
The time scheme does not quite make sense. I understood the main plot. They meet. They fall in love. One starts to get bored and has her memory erased. He finds out and erases her. Trys to stop it in the middle. However, I do not understand how she knew what was going on from thought to thought when they were erasing. It jsut does not quite work. Then the day just started all over again, but then Patrick was there. I think this, again, is a movie I will watch again to get the full meaning.

I like these kind of "mess with your mind" movies. I like to learn lots of different people's takes on the brain and life. all directors of these kinds of films seem like people you would want to have deep philosophical conversations with.

No comments: